Enjoy a delicious Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake recipe with streusel topping, buttermilk whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and a hint of cinnamon. This old-fashioned, Southern-style dessert combines the flavors of a scone and biscuit in one pan.
Try this easy and mouthwatering dessert for a taste of homemade goodness.
Ingredients And Preparation
When it comes to a classic dessert that celebrates the sweetness of strawberries, it’s hard to beat a Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake. This delightful treat takes a traditional shortcake recipe and gives it a unique twist, resulting in a dessert that is both rustic and delicious.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- One tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for macerating strawberries)
- Whipped cream for serving
The key ingredients that make this shortcake recipe stand out are all-purpose flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, unsalted butter, vanilla extract, fresh strawberries, granulated sugar, and whipped cream. These simple yet flavorful ingredients come together to create a light and indulgent dessert.
Step-by-step Preparation Instructions
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Combine the cold buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients well.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently mix the wet and dry ingredients until combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a dense shortcake.
- Transfer the shortcake dough to a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, spreading it evenly with your hands or the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl, toss the sliced strawberries with granulated sugar. Allow the strawberries to macerate for at least 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the cast iron skillet with the shortcake dough in the preheated oven and bake for 20–25 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake warm, topped with macerated strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Enjoy this delightful dessert that perfectly balances the flavors of tender shortcake, juicy strawberries, and creamy whipped cream. Whether served for a special occasion or enjoyed as a simple weeknight treat, this Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Variations And Serving Suggestions
There are several delicious variations and serving suggestions for Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake that you can try to elevate this classic dessert. Whether you want to experiment with different flavors and additions or explore accompaniments and garnishes, these ideas will impress your guests.
Different Flavors And Additions
- Instead of using regular strawberries, consider using other berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries, for a mixed-berry shortcake.
- Add a hint of citrus by incorporating lemon zest or juice into the shortcake batter.
- For a twist, try adding a touch of almond extract or vanilla extract to enhance the flavor.
- If you prefer a richer taste, sprinkle some chocolate chips or drizzle chocolate sauce over the shortcake layers.
Accompaniments And Garnishes
When it comes to serving your Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake, consider these accompaniments and garnishes to take it to the next level:
- Whipped cream: Top your shortcake with a generous dollop of homemade whipped cream for a fluffy and creamy addition.
- Fresh mint leaves: Garnish with a few fresh ones to add a pop of color and a refreshing taste.
- Sliced almonds or chopped nuts: For added crunch, sprinkle some sliced almonds or chopped nuts on top of the whipped cream.
- Powdered sugar: Lightly dust the shortcake with powdered sugar for an elegant finishing touch.
- Extra strawberries: Arrange a few different slices or whole strawberries on the plate as a decorative garnish.
By exploring these variations and serving suggestions, you can create a Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake that looks visually appealing and tantalizes taste buds with a burst of flavors. Get creative with different flavor combinations and experiment with various accompaniments to find your favorite!
Frequently Asked Questions On Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake
What’s The Difference Between Strawberry Shortcake And Regular Cake?
A strawberry shortcake is closer to a scone or biscuit than a regular cake. The batter is thicker, similar to biscuit dough. The traditional cake batter is not as comprehensive.
What Is A Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake?
A strawberry buttermilk skillet shortcake is a delicious dessert made with a scone-like base, topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. It is baked in a cast iron skillet, which gives it a unique and rustic flavor. It’s the perfect treat for strawberry lovers!
How Do You Make A Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake?
To make a strawberry buttermilk skillet shortcake, make the scone-like base with buttermilk, flour, sugar, and baking powder. Spread the batter evenly in a hot cast-iron skillet and bake it until golden brown. Once cooled, top it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries For A Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake?
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries for a strawberry buttermilk skillet shortcake. Thaw the strawberries and drain any excess liquid before using them as a topping. However, fresh strawberries will provide the best flavor and texture for the dessert.
Try making a Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake to elevate your strawberry dessert game. This delectable treat combines the best of both worlds with a scone-like base that perfectly complements the fresh strawberries. Unlike traditional cakes, this shortcake boasts a thicker batter, resulting in a biscuit-like texture.
Top it off with a dollop of whipped cream and you have a mouthwatering dessert that will impress your friends and family. Indulge in the unique flavors and textures of this delightful Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake for a satisfying and memorable dessert experience.