Vegan Mushroom Pot Pie is a delicious and comforting dish filled with savoury mushrooms and vegetables, all encased in a flaky crust. This hearty pie is perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike.
Whether you’re looking for a comforting weeknight dinner or a crowd-pleasing dish to serve at a gathering, this vegan mushroom pot pie will surely be a hit. Combining earthy mushrooms, flavorful vegetables, and a rich, creamy sauce makes for a satisfying and wholesome meal.
With its warm and comforting flavours, this pot pie is bound to become a favourite in your recipe rotation. Get ready to enjoy all the goodness of a traditional pot pie with a vegan twist!
It’s hard to beat a delicious pot pie when it comes to hearty and comforting dishes. And if you’re looking for a vegan option that doesn’t compromise on taste or texture, then this vegan mushroom pot pie is the answer.
For the Pie Crust:
Making a vegan pie crust is easier than you think, adding a delightful flakiness to your pot pie. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 4-5 tablespoons ice-cold water
Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl to make the perfect pie crust. Add the chilled vegan butter, and use a pastry cutter or your hands to incorporate it until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
For the filling:
The filling is where this vegan mushroom pot pie shines. Packed with savoury flavours and hearty ingredients, it will satisfy your taste buds. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- One yellow onion, diced
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat to make the filling. Add the diced onion, and minced garlic, and sauté until fragrant and translucent. Then, add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they release moisture and brown.
Whisk together the vegetable broth, almond milk, all-purpose flour, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper in a separate small bowl. Pour this mixture into the skillet with the mushrooms and onions, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
Finally, add the frozen peas and corn, and let the filling simmer for a few more minutes until the vegetables are heated. Remove from the heat and set aside while you prepare the pie crust.
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients for your vegan mushroom pot pie, it’s time to dive into the instructions. Prepare to create a delicious and hearty dish that will leave you and your loved ones wanting more.
Making The Pie Crust
Let’s focus on making a flavorful and flaky pie crust. Follow these simple steps:
- Gather the ingredients: 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ cup of vegan butter (cold and cubed), and 3 to 4 tablespoons of ice water.
- Incorporate the ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold vegan butter cubes, and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water. Gradually pour in the ice water, starting with three tablespoons. Mix with a fork until the dough holds together when squeezed. Add a tablespoon of ice water if needed.
- Knead and refrigerate: Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead the dough a few times until it forms a cohesive ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This step helps the dough relax and makes it easier to roll out.
Preparing The Filling
Now that our pie crust is chilling, let’s prepare the flavorful filling for our vegan mushroom pot pie. Follow these simple steps:
- Gather the ingredients: You will need one tablespoon of olive oil, one medium onion (diced), two cloves of garlic (minced), 8 ounces of mushrooms (sliced), two medium carrots (chopped), two stalks of celery (chopped), two tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 cups of vegetable broth, ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk, one teaspoon of thyme, ½ teaspoon of rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Sauté the vegetables. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, sautéing until fragrant and translucent. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and celery, cooking until they start to soften.
- Add the flour and liquid. Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the cooked vegetables, stirring to coat them evenly. Slowly stir the vegetable broth and almond milk to avoid lumps.
- Season and cook: Stir in the thyme and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assembling And Baking The Pot Pie
With the crust chilling and the filling prepared, it’s time to assemble and bake your vegan mushroom pot pie to perfection. Follow these last steps:
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the crust. Take your chilled pie crust from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out into a circle slightly larger than your baking dish’s size.
- Transfer the filling. Pour the prepared vegetable filling into your baking dish evenly.
- Add the crust: Carefully place the rolled-out crust on top of the filling, tucking any excess edges under. You can crimp the edges or use a fork to create a decorative border.
- Bake to perfection: Place the pot pie in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Once baked to perfection, allow the vegan mushroom pot pie to cool for a few minutes before serving. This wholesome and satisfying dish will impress vegans and non-vegans with its rich flavours and comforting textures. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions For Vegan Mushroom Pot Pie
What Ingredients Are Needed For A Vegan Mushroom Pot Pie?
You will need ingredients such as mushrooms, vegetables, plant-based milk, flour, vegetable broth, and spices to make a delicious vegan mushroom pot pie. These ingredients combine to create a savoury filling and a flaky crust that satisfies your hearty and comforting meal cravings.
How Do You Make A Vegan Mushroom Pot Pie From Scratch?
To make a vegan mushroom pot pie from scratch, start by sautéing mushrooms and vegetables in a pan. Then, whisk together vegetable broth, plant-based milk, and flour to create a creamy sauce. Combine the sauce with the sautéed mushrooms and vegetables, and pour the mixture into a pie crust.
Top with another crust and bake until golden brown. Enjoy a homemade vegan mushroom pot pie bursting with delicious flavours!
Can I Freeze A Vegan Mushroom Pot Pie?
Yes, you can freeze a vegan mushroom pot pie for future enjoyment. Once the pot pie has completely cooled down, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before freezing. When ready to eat it, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in the oven until warmed.
A frozen vegan mushroom pot pie is a convenient and tasty meal option for busy days.
What Can I Substitute For Mushrooms In A Vegan Pot Pie?
If you’re not a fan of mushrooms or want to try different flavours, there are several delicious substitutes for mushrooms in a vegan pot pie. Try using tofu, lentils, tempeh, or vegetables like carrots, peas, and bell peppers.
These alternatives add unique textures and flavours to the pot pie, creating a delightful plant-based dish.
To sum up, this vegan mushroom pot pie is a delicious and wholesome plant-based option for any mealtime. Its golden crust and hearty filling packed with mushrooms and vegetables offer a flavour that anyone can appreciate.
Whether you’re a vegan or simply looking for a meat-free alternative, this pot pie will satisfy your cravings while positively impacting the environment. Give it a try and enjoy a comforting, guilt-free dish!